Sunday, April 20, 2008

Seal Watching

Yesterday Lily and I hiked Rome Point, a popular destination for seal-watching, along with some friends, my sister and her hiking club from work. It was about a three-mile round trip, one of the longer hikes I've done in a while and definitely the longest Lily has ever attempted. (Luckily, Auntie Jill was kind enough to give her a piggy-back ride much of the way back to the car. ;-)

We had a great time and were rewarded with a distant view of harbor seals sunning on the rocks in Narragansett Bay.

The kids, still mastering the challening art of binocular-viewing, were more interested in the thick footing of discarded shells that we got to walk on and crunch and the seagulls that entertained us with their antics and delighted us with the breadth of their vocalizations.

I made up a dip for after the hike. It was a quick throw-together of ingredients I had on hand that turned out to be incredibly delicious. (Recipe below.)

No comments: