Monday, April 7, 2008

Energy Nuggets

Ok. No poetry inspiration yet today but I did want to share this recipe. The kids and I have been having fun making (and eating) these! I got the idea from one of my favorite cookbooks, Cooking with the Dead.

We've been having a lot of low blood sugar meltdowns around here lately so I'm trying to find some more healthy snacks to have on hand for frequent snacking! These are really quick and easy to make. I keep them in the fridge to eat at home or freeze them to bring along when we go out.

Ingredients
(all very approximate measurements)
2 cups of peanut butter
2 cups of brown puffed rice cereal
1/2 cup of maple syrup
1 cup of coconut flakes
1 cup of flax seeds
1 cup of sunflower seeds
1 cup of wheat bran
1/2 cup chopped prunes (or other dried fruit)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (plus some for snacking)

I measure everything out ahead of time and put each ingredient into a little bowl for the kids to dump in while I stir. We add the syrup in a little at a time to help offset the stickiness of the peanut butter and save 1/2 of the coconut to roll the nuggets in at the end.

Once everything is all mixed in I usually give the kids a scoop on a spoon to eat while I roll little balls in my hands (about the size of Swedish meatballs) and dredge them through the remaining coconut. Then I lay them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and put them in the fridge for at least an hour or so. (I transfer them into a storage container and keep in the fridge.)

That's it. Simple. Fun to make and REALLY delicious!

No comments: