Sunday, July 27, 2008

clearing off the china cabinet

When John and I got married (eight years ago this month) we decided to use much of the money we received as gifts from family and friends towards the purchase of a few pieces of furniture.

My parents bought us a beautiful sleigh bed (which is being stored in the barn while we are in family-bed-on-the-floor stage) and we picked out a dining room table and a matching china cabinet.

We opted not to register for china, but instead chose to register at our favorite pottery studio and I remember what a wonderful time I had arranging our beautiful plates and bowls in the cabinet.

Over the years, the china cabinet has become the catch all for everything that doesn't have a home. It's also where I have started creating my home apothecary of homeopathic remedies, flower essences, essential oils, medicinal herbs etc.

The lower cabinets have become home to our "quiet closet," filled with board games and puzzles; our first aid kit (bandaids and Rescue Cream, which the kids help themselves to any time they need them); and our cold care kit (duck shaped hot water bottle, saline spray, soft cotton cloths, an otoscope and a few other odds and ends I'm forgetting).

The shelf, which I once visualized as a beautiful family alter space, is usually loaded up with Lily's artwork that I don't want to lose but don't know where/how to store, notecards and my address book for (attempting to keep up with) writing thank you notes, my kids baby books and birthday books, and other various creative projects that I hope "someday" to get to.

Oh and it's also the place where I tuck photographs that I love of our family so I can see them (when they are not lying on the floor getting stepped on after sliding out of the wooden rungs).

I should also mention that our china cabinet, and our kitchen table, are both prominent features of our living room, which truly is the room we "live" in. The room you walk into when you open our front door. The room where we spend the majority of our time.

I have slowly been working my way through the house, cleaning and decluttering as I go, and last night I decided it was time to clear away the clutter that has been masking our beautiful china cabinet!

before...



the table during (aka why i don't do decluttering projects when my kids are awake)...



after...





homes still needed for these items...



aaahhh....



1 comment:

Devon said...

OOOO I love it!! I can feel the calm energy flowing around it now. Great work!