Thursday, June 19, 2008

More excitement in the critter corner!

It's Thursday, which for the summer months is our one daycare morning. Generally speaking, that means I'm usually doing some form of "work" today -- writing, answering e-mails, planning birth network events, making phone calls etc.

But today is also Lily's fourth birthday so I'm doing a quick power cleaning (things have gotten seriously out of control recently) of the house before setting up some streamers and balloons (which I totally forgot that I still have to get).

As I was sorting through the coats that have overtaken the kids' hooks, I noticed that the critter tank is looking a little dry.

And then I also noticed something else -- eggs of some sort under the soil, right up against the glass!

I'm not sure what kind of eggs they are - snail? toad? (Do toads even lay eggs? Oh, I have SO much to learn!) Or maybe something else that we didn't even know was in our tank?

I think it's so interesting that most of my amazing critter corner moments happen when I am alone. It really is becoming more and more clear to me that much of the "fun stuff" I do now that I am a parent, I could have been doing all along!

My kids are only mildly interested in what is happening in the tank (not that I blame them -- snails are pretty slow moving and the toad has not been seen since the night it surprised me).

And yet it is my children who inspire me, and gently remind me, to slow down and dig in the Earth and study snails and talk to Fairies.

And it is my children who inspire me to savor the special joy of birthdays with favorite dinners and streamers and balloons and cake and funny stories from the last year.

And so, at least for today, cleaning up the house and getting ready for tonight's (quiet family) celebration is my "work", which I will do with great joy!

And I'll be sure to stop and peek in the critter tank every chance I get!

(My "point & shoot" camera was rather confused by my attempts to photograph the eggs through a dirty glass tank but I think I managed to get a half-way decent shot. Click on the photo to enlarge.)

No comments: