Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bring on the summer smoothies!

I made smoothies for the kids at lunchtime today and they drank them and loved them, and thanked me for making them!

I've been hoping to introduce smoothies to our breakfast repertoire for a while now but just somehow haven't gotten to it until today.

I've read that it's a great way to get healthy stuff into growing bodies and kids think they are a great treat. (There are various smoothies at the grocery store but generally I've found them to be low in nutrients and high in sugar.)

We did love the Stonyfield Farm organic strawberry yogurt smoothies for a while. When Quinn started part-time daycare last fall we sent him with "milky", which was half strawberry smoothie and half fresh, raw milk. (Then somewhere along the line, he got a taste for orange juice, so now we send him with "juicy", which is half orange juice and half water.)

Today's smoothie was...

Organic Stonyfield Farm Vanilla Yogurt
One frozen banana
A little bit of coconut oil (which was liquid because it was so hot out today)

Tomorrow I'm going to try...

Vanilla yogurt
Fresh strawberries that we picked today!
Coconut oil

...for the kids. And the same, with some fresh chard leaves, for me.

I plan to slowly add veggies and other goodies in to the kids' smoothies, but I'm going to start by slowly experimenting with my own!