Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter


I had a proud moment this weekend as we enjoyed dinner at my mother-in-law's. After staring awkwardly at the table for several minutes, my almost-four-year old walked towards me.

"I need to speak in your ear, Mama," she said, blue eyes sparkling. "Can you please recommend a healthy, growing food. I don't see anything I like, Mama."

Internally gushing, "Healthy, growing food -- wow! She really is getting what I'm trying to teach. Wow...Good. For. Me!"

I scanned the table and realized there were no foods that were familiar to Lily (like say Annie's macaroni and cheese, spaghetti and meatballs, "yolky eggs," edamame, sliced apples, blueberry pancakes, Cheerios-and-milk out of the blue bowl with the built in straw, and her beloved "Chicken-Broccoli," which she has renamed "Rice-Chicken-Cheese-Broccoli" because she thinks her title makes more sense given the ingredients.)

I found her something yummy to eat that wasn't too sugary or too chocolate and sat back to marvel at what a great mom I am -- "My kid is asking for healthy-growing foods. Good. For. Me."

After exchanging some small gifts (and attempting to off-load hard-boiled, colored eggs on each other -- the Spring equivalent of August zucchinis), it was time to go.

Driving home I thought about the treasures the kids would find in their baskets the next day -- fun thrift store finds, a couple of pieces of chocolate, matchbox cars, books, colored thread for sewing, and a little duck and bunny for our Spring nature table.

I once again felt a nice comfortable swell of pride. "I really am doing okay at this whole mom thing."

Then, as we were getting ready for bed that night, at some point Lily dropped a book.

Without missing a beat. With perfect diction, she let out a slow, half-whispered "Fuuuuuuck!"

Trying not to look too shocked and stifling my giggles, I smiled and handed her the book.

Yup. She is definitely listenlearning from me.

No comments: